Sunday, May 25, 2014

First Month of Kindergarten




We have had a fun first month of Kindergarten.  Joelle is doing very well with the My Father's World curriculum.  I have been using the science and letter topic throughout the week while her friend is over, and then doing the reading lessons and worksheets with her at other times.  So far it has been pretty easy and she enjoys it.  I have done a few units in one week, but I think from now on we may stretch them into two week units.  The reading lessons require a little more work starting with Unit 6 and I still want to keep going at a slow pace.


Our homemade sundial for our S is for Sun unit


Painting a moon for our M is for Moon unit
I want to keep kindergarten as enjoyable as possible for her, and that means having the freedom to stop when I notice that she is tired.  Typically our reading lesson and worksheet time take half an hour each time.  She has done well with it, but there have also been times when we have stopped in the middle of a lesson, or I haven't required her to do things, like coloring on part of a page, since it is not really necessary to her learning the concepts.  I think we will enjoy year round schooling because we like to take our time and take breaks when we feel we need to,  I like to take a full week or two off randomly, when I sense that we need a break, so I think year round homeschooling will work well for us.

Practicing writing "M" in our "Moondust"


Jaren sitting in his kitchen drawer


Sensory Bin fun.  This was our moon sensory bin. 
This past month we have done four units: a creation unit, S is for Sun, M is for Moon, and L is for Leaf.  The way the lessons are set up- they teach Bible concepts, intertwined with letter and science topics.  This past week, for example, we learned about leaves and how they must stay connected to the plant in order to grow.  In the same way, as Christians, we must remain in Jesus in order to grow.  We did an experiment of taking a leaf off of a tree, since that leaf wanted to "be its own boss" and we watched what happened to the lonely leaf.  This was a powerful example of what happens when we disconnect ourselves from God.  I love that the lessons revolve around these Biblical concepts that I want my kids to know.  Its also a fresh reminder to me of truths that I need to remember.  This week her phrase to remember was "I will live and grow in Jesus."


Some M & M math


Making "M" with unifix cubes


Just being cute :)


Some marshmallow math


Making "M" with cuisinair rods


My cutie, wearing her moon badge


Lemon painting for our letter L unit


My little book lover just relaxing by himself on the couch :)
As we finish up each unit, I am putting all my stuff for each one in a box so that it will all be organized for when I do kindergarten again with Jaren.  I can envision going through this again with both kids when its Jaren's turn as it would be easy to just add age appropriate math and language arts for Joelle at that time.  Next week we will be learning about the letter A- A is for Apples. 

1 comment:

  1. Admire what you're doing Joann! The curriculum sounds fabulous! I homeschooled our daughter too - and I learned SO MUCH as I was teaching her! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...